• Blog >
  • Sago Palm Toxicity
RSS Feed

Sago Palm Toxicity

~~SAGO PALM TOXICITY: Something preventable, that we treat far too often!


ALL parts of this plant are toxic, including the leaves, trunk, roots, and seeds. The primary toxic agent of the Sago Palm is called Cycasin. Dogs, cats, horses, sheep, cattle, and children are most at risk.


Treatment includes bloodwork, inducing emesis, activated charcoal, liver protectants, IV fluids, Vitamin K (if clotting disorders), GI protectants, and Acetylcysteine.


Follow up by monitoring liver enzymes every 1-2 weeks until normal. Monitor for signs of liver failure, renal failure and abnormal bleeding.


Prognosis for initial, near term recovery is fair if there are no increase in liver enzymes by 48-72 hours.


Long term survival is poor, about 50%. Due to the ingestion of Methylazoxymethanol, death may occur in recovered animals 8-12 weeks post exposure.
                                                   
                    As you know, this outdoor plant is very popular in our area.
      
 

Contact Us

Send us an email today!

Locate Us

Find us on a map